- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup good quality honey
- 120g Yarra Valley Cheese
Fresh Goats Cheese
- 3–4 medium sized pears, peeled
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
seed scraped & pod thrown in
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
Caramelised Maple Pears
- 3–4 poached pears
- 100ml honey
- 125ml maple syrup
- 100g caster sugar
- zest and juice of 1/2 an orange
- juice of 1 lemon
Note: This Goats Cheese ice-cream also pairs well with fresh figs or blackberries.
- In a large pot combine all ingredients, except the pears. Place pot on the stove top on a high heat. Bring to a boil. Turn down to a med/low heat & gently simmer until sugar is dissolved. Add the pears cook 10-15 minutes until the pears are tender. Remove from syrup & set pears aside.
- In a medium sized saucepan add the cream, milk, honey & the Yarra valley dairy goats cheese over a medium heat stir until combined and has heated through. Remove from heat. Do not let boil, as mix will curdle. You may need to gently whisk to combine the cheese until smooth.
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg yolks together. Pour in the warm cream and goats cheese. Start with a couple of spoonfuls at first then add remaining mix, whisking quickly to combine. Pour the mix back into the saucepan and put back on the stove. Stir Constantly with a wooden spoon on a low heat until mixture has thickened slightly & coats the back of a spoon. About 10- 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate the mixture until chilled, then process in your icecream machine, as per the manufacturers instructions. When icecream has finished churning, pour into a freezer proof container. Place into freezer allow to set.
- For the poached pears, combine all ingredients except the pears in a large pot. Place the pears in the pan & simmer gently for 5-8 minutes, turn the pears often, or until the sauce has reduced and thickened & the pears are caramelised in the sauce.
- Serve the caramelised maple pears with scoops of the Yarra Valley Goats Cheese ice-cream.